The origin of the Church goes back to 1924 when Mr. McKibbin started cottage meetings in his home at River Terrace, Monkstown. Over the previous months, some of the local people had been saved at meetings in Carrickfergus conducted by W. P. Nicholson and they had a desire to reach out to their friends and neighbours with the Gospel.
In 1929, the present site was acquired and a tin 'hut' was erected. In the same year, a church was formally constituted. The six foundation members who had been attending Cliftonpark Baptist transferred their membership to the new Church.
In the early days, Monkstown was a small country village on the outskirts of Belfast. However, in the 1950s the population began to grow as new homes were built. Eventually, the village became part of the new town of Newtownabbey. The believers felt that now was the time for a more permanent building and so a new building was erected by voluntary labour in 1957. A new hall, also constructed by voluntary labour, was opened in 1968.
The years since have seen continuing growth as various Pastors have laboured in the Gospel. The buildings were refurbished and extended in 1999 to provide additional seating and improved facilities.